Sunday, March 3, 2013

Accessing Samba shares on Ubuntu - Security Considerations

If you, like me, have spent hours looking for how Samba manages an access to shares - then you might want to read this. I am not going to cover the configuration of Samba on your system - I assume you have defined shares and other required parameters in smb.conf file - this part should be relatively easy, and it is pretty well covered on many other sites.
My Samba server setup on Linux machine, and clients accessing shares are on Windows, Linux (Ubuntu) and Mac - the whole variety is here!:)
So far I encountered no problems connecting from Windows to Samba, however having issues connecting from Ubuntu to Samba (!) - getting NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED from Samba server... I should say Samba logs are huge, and do not contain logging categories (I am looking for security messages only) - but the log level can be defined. I have set the log level to 3 (out of 10) - and logs are really big!
I am still looking for the trick to fix the system - exciting! I will keep the updates posted....

No comments:

Post a Comment